Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Odesnik Continues to get thrown under the bus

Mardy Fish takes a shot (thanks anonymous):
“I’m the kind of guy who’s been around for a long time,” Fish said. “This is my 11th year. I’ve seen a few guys come and go who have cheated and he seems to be no different. There’s no room for him. There is no gray area. He pleaded guilty. Any points and money he wins here are going to be gone anyway (if the ITF suspends him).
“It would be pretty awkward (for me) to play him here. He’s a pretty good clay court player. What you don’t know now is if any of that is real. It doesn’t seem to be. I’d have a serious beef if I were (Jerzy Janowicz, whom Odesnik defeated in the first round). And, if I were (Odesnik), I’d take myself out.”

Care to name any names, Mardy? Why does only Odesnik get this treatment?

In contrast, no players went after Gasquet:
Gascquet warmly praised Rafael Nadal for his support during the period of his ban: "Rafa supported me more than anyone in the last few months and if he ever needs me to help him, I will do what I can. I'll never forget what he's done for me. Now I just want to get out and play."

Do players have it in for Odesnik? Is he not in the "club"?

Update (Thanks Rikyu): If Mardy Fish thinks that someone is using PED's, he should report it:
"I.2 In the event a Participant knows or suspects that any other Participant has committed an anti-doping rule violation, it shall be the Participant’s obligation to report such knowledge or suspicion to the ITF Anti-Doping Manager as soon as possible.

15 comments:

  1. Because cocaine is not a performace enhancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mardy Fish missed a drug test in November last year. Hmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=313513

    ReplyDelete
  4. Navratilova diagnosed with breast cancer. Is that caused by steroid use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've never liked him...I know this will cause an uproar but him being Jewish and not being "one of the guys" (drinking, girls, etc) has always made him an outsider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I was a tennis player I'd also support Gasquet. Could someone please tell me why athletes get banned and are considered "cheaters" if they get caught using cocaine and marijuana?

    Do people really see Gasquet as a drug cheat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Nadal defended him based on the testing being unfair or inaccurate, not because he didn't think cocaine was a big deal. Maybe that's how players really feel and I tend to agree. Although, I do think that cocaine could enhance your performance, sure. I doubt he was using it for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any real tennis journalists should be all over Mardy's comments.

    Mardy Fish should clarify what he means by "cheaters" to the ITF. If he knows or has known people using PEDs then failing to report it to the ITF is a violation of the anti-doping rules.

    ITF Doping Programme:

    "I.2 In the event a Participant knows or suspects that any other Participant has committed an anti-doping rule violation, it shall be the Participant’s obligation to report such knowledge or suspicion to the ITF Anti-Doping Manager as soon as possible. A Participant shall have a continuing obligation to report any new knowledge or suspicion regarding any anti-doping rule violation to the ITF Anti-Doping Manager, even if the Participant’s prior knowledge or suspicion has already been reported. Failure to comply with any of the foregoing without acceptable justification shall constitute an antidoping
    rule violation within the meaning of Article C.9."

    For reference:
    "C.9 Refusing or failing without compelling justification to comply with any other provision of this Programme."

    How many players are violating the code by not reporting PED users? Have any journalists bothered to study the ITF Anti-Doping Programme?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Odesnik currently destroying Kukushkin in Houston R2.

    Would be rather amusing if he took some sort of nihilistic view and pumped himself full of everything going, just to win the tournament, take the money and run away from tennis. After all a two year ban means he'd be returning at 26, and it would probably take him at a further 2 years of hard grind to recover his form and current ranking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking about the Odesnik situation and the way he's been isolated by his fellow players. Their outright hostility reminds me of the way Jose Canseco was treated when he wrote "Juiced".

    Tennis needs its own Jose Canseco. There's can be little doubt that there's a conspiracy of silence going on, just like MLB.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So in other words everyone doping is afraid this Odesnik might spill the beans which he could very well do if he is penalized?
    Wonder if the ATP is also fearful of what might come out of this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't necessarily think that they're afraid of Odesnik. He may know very little, but perhaps he can name some names, especially his HGH supplier. The supplier is the more important participant.

    Also, I think what they're afraid of is the attention that his case has attracted. It's shattered the myth that tennis is squeaky clean. I think that is why the players are angry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hah! Malisse v. Odesnik in the Quarters. ATP must love that match-up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I've been thinking about the Odesnik situation and the way he's been isolated by his fellow players. Their outright hostility reminds me of the way Jose Canseco was treated when he wrote "Juiced"."

    Lol! Canseco claimed that pretty much everyone else dopes, while Odesnik has only been caught doping himself. It's not even remotely comparable. How would you expect a clean athlete to react when an opponent gets exposed as a doper? If they didn't criticise him you'd take that as a sign that they are also doping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete